was harshly criticized in Japan (and nearly censored) when first published, yet many hailed it as a work of art and even went on to say that was the new The Lord of the Flies . In any event, Battle Royale, quickly became a bestseller , and was adapted into a manga and film. I have to say that the film starring Tatsuya Fujiwara is one of my favorites, but nothing will be like after reading a wonderful novel on which it is based.
He had been wanting me to the book, and several times I was about to order it online, but in the end, for one reason or another, never encouraged me. When I saw him by chance at Foyles in Charing Cross (my favorite bookstore) in London, I did not think twice. And since that day I could not release it for a moment.
Battle Royale is a very easy to read novel (in fact, for those who want to read and will be afraid to English, it's easy if you have a medium level), fast and dynamic, with no double meanings and metaphors, but that stops exploring not only the adolescent psychology in extreme circumstances, but also the pros and cons of a dictatorship that, in exchange for progress, sacrifice their own people. The Program involving Shuya and classmates is defined as the country's most effective tool to demonstrate to its citizens who can not trust anyone and to avoid associations that endanger their survival: a bloody version of musical chairs music in which anything goes in order to survive.
The advantage of the book is that one can learn in depth to the characters, their motivations, what makes them make decisions and act in one way or another, why they want to win or what they want to do before you die. Discover the past of Mitsuko Souma, how proud I was Takako Chigusa and why Shinji Mimura always wore a ring yet. Shuya and discover a Noriko to not even hint at the film (the manga is a different thing), and bathing all in the tunes of Bruce Springsteen. In fact, right now I find absolutely absurd facts like Chigusa in the film walk around in tracksuits and Kazuo Shogo that have signed up to a voluntary program, both were students, like everyone else, and would have been great to see Kiriyama throwing a coin to decide whether to participate in, or Shogo telling the "good" so that was because he had to attend two consecutive editions. But we have to evaluate everything by itself.
In short, I encourage you to take a look at this novel, because once that you begin I guarantee that you can not leave, and that you will never see the same way or to Shuya, or Kawada, or Chigusa, or Mimura (definitely my favorite character). You will feel identified with some aspects of them, and perhaps bewildered by others, but surely, as its author, will become part of you, as part of me.
0 comments:
Post a Comment