This summer, I met two Muslim girls. One of them was the most gentle and kind with which I have ever met, the other seemed to me cold, hard, tight.
Khaled Hosseini takes us in this work, frankly, as splendid as the soles of Kabul in a world where nothing is easy, in that death, torture, persecution and repression are present in every aspect of life, especially if you're a woman. The people you mentioned at the beginning were not Afghan, but I am convinced that their ways are so radically different a coherent explanation on the role women have in the Islamic world. And through Mariam and Laila, I managed to understand them as never before.
not know much about the history of Afghanistan. In fact, only short fragments that have reached me through my TV screen Western. I know there have been no war, there have been bombings, which settled a terrorist regime in power for a few years. And people has died, suffered and, a little, get ahead. That is the idea which Khaled Hosseini kneaded along this wonderful work that, despite everything, many people have survived, still breathing and dealing with life after death to see how loved and to be exiled an inhospitable land.
Thousand Splendid Suns is the story of two women who grow up in different environments. Mariam is a harami , the illegitimate daughter of a rich man had a servant, lives in hiding, is a source of shame and dishonor. Laila was born in Kabul invaded by the Soviets, a delicate situation, but allows women from working, studying, and she's smart. The events are rushing around two protagonists, so that at different times in their lives, both end up married to the same man, Rasheed, a shoemaker who imposes his will belt in hand and making them see and believe that they two have no value. Because they are women, and women should always be subject to the desires of men. Because "like the needle of a compass always points north, and the finger of a man is always a woman."
The core of the work revolves around the bond they Mariam and Laila on the back of her husband in a situation that does not appear accommodate more than the darkness. Laila Mariam gives him the illusion, love, hope, and Laila Mariam brings to the serenity, support, shelter. Are shown each other that all is not lost for Afghan women. The future needs and the light shines at the end of the tunnel, albeit difficult to see.
I read A Thousand Splendid Suns in two days (much because I personally do not like to finish the book so quickly), and I think I spent two days crying. Crying for the cruelty that distills the pain, hopelessness, and impotence. Grateful to be born in Spain at a time when women did not serve only to mop. Empathizing with those who still persist in their struggle to show what they can do. Admired.
Eight out of ten Afghan women, today, victims of domestic violence and 60% are forced to marry before age 18. Still hears the word stoning, and many of them will be hidden under a burka . Long way to go, but I believe that one day their suffering will be rewarded.
0 comments:
Post a Comment