is true that long ago since I saw my friends Goodreads.com read the works of Neil Gaiman, but there was no decided to give a good bite at any of his books until my dear Mineko told me about him and his impromptu wedding with Amanda Palmer and told me how much he loved his graphic novel The Sandman .
As Amanda Palmer is a woman who has always seemed very original and true to herself, and as I rely very much on the criterion of Mine, I decided would read something by this author on the Internet. However, in one of those ghost expeditions conducted from time to time to any bookstore, this small caught my eye and said, "Let's worth." After all, sometimes it's best short stories begin to know what to expect from a longer work.
First, commenting that the title has nothing to do with the original M is for magic. Sometimes I am surprised at the ideas of the translators, because creativity is very important, but without transforming the original product where there is a direct translation possible ... Above all, I think the title in English would be great if all the stories the book contains dye were the last one, which seems to be integrated into your other work The Graveyard Book ... Magic, however, is a much better word for what this curious author gives us a taste in the book I read, mystery tinged with a particular sense of humor.
I will not say that I loved the book because it is not, as some stories I found brilliant and others only rarely. The problem is not that some are more lax than others, but rather a few you're left with bad taste to have an ambiguous ending, and that either includes knowing full well other works this man or his brain must have to see it clear. Basically, he devotes pages and pages to tell how crucial insignificant details and summarizes it in a couple of phrases such as passing. Part of his style and is interesting, but disconcerting. And the stories that force you to fly your imagination and imagine how that happens is fine, but when you have explained everything but the cherry ... strange.
My favorite story was "Cavalry," a small sample of his sense of humor that is very funny. To say that is about a lady who is in a store and the Holy Grail, when Galahad rides his horse to ask him and even offers to change the Sorcerer's Stone, she replies that no one wants to give because it looks great on your fireplace ... Well, I think that already says enough. Other ones I liked were: "The Troll Bridge", "Price" and "The Presidency of October."
is generally recommended if you like short stories and fast-paced and I like to escape the topic, but I am convinced that it works better. Anyway, a pinch of humor mixed with magic never hurts.
0 comments:
Post a Comment